Thursday 13 August 2015

Fantastic Four





I'm guessing as this films been released now that I am OK to mention that I worked as lead lighting artist on it.  I haven't seen it yet, and given recent reviews of it you may be assuming I am depressed or very down about the whole thing. However this missed the entire point of both VFX or working in computer games.  An artist will have zero input over anything other than the job he is contracted to do,and no should he or she.  So my reaction is the same as it'd be if it had won a boat load of Oscars.

You do your job to the best standard you can given the constraints of time, resources and money.  You make sure that your job is done to the best standard it can be. That's it...nothing else about a film or show or game should concern you.

I'd like to add that I had a wonderful team of guys both under me and alongside me at MPC in Montreal, and met some fantastic people.  So now we all have the dubious accolade of having worked on 2015's Fantastic Four film, which shall always be good for a bar story. :)  I cant really go into details about what the specifics of my job or what sequences I may or may not have been lead on... maybe at some point I'll be able to.  (Unless of course its sunken in 100 feet of concreted by then lol...*joke*).